Trimartiri Cathedral, Chania

by nikos

In the fourteenth-century, the Trimartiri temple dedicated to the revered Virgin Mary was succeeded by the magnificent Cathedral temple of “Eisodion”.

During the Turkish rule in Chania in 1645, the temple remained intact but was repurposed into a soap factory. Moustafa Pasha Giritli, an esteemed Turkish figure, acquired the temple and utilized it for soap production until 1868.

Moustafa also made a special request to have a vigil candle lit to honor the Virgin Mary icon, which was kept in a nearby olive storage room.

There is a long-standing belief that the last remaining technician rescued the Virgin Mary icon after the collapse of the soap factory.

This led to a request from the Christian Community to rebuild the temple in its original location, which was granted by Moustafa, who became prime minister under Sultan Metzit’s rule.

The Sultan, along with Veli Pasha(who was the Commander of Crete), generously provided the necessary funds for the reconstruction, showing the significance of this endeavor. Despite tensions between the Christians and Ottomans, the church was successfully rebuilt thanks to the support and contributions of these individuals.

Constructed in 1860, the Chania Cathedral stands proudly as a grand three-aisled basilica, with its central aisle raised to a lofty height. Its sacred purpose is to honor the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The church is aptly named “Trimartiri,” after its three magnificent aisles.

Each year on November 21st, the Cathedral joyously celebrates and commemorates the holy event of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

Related Posts